Pages

Thursday 28 March 2013

HAIRDRESSER RANT!


All my life, I have been disappointed by hair dressers more often than not. Allow me to rant! I am not a trained hairdresser nor do I aspire to be one but I have had it with hairdressers! I am yet to meet a hairdresser who will tell me that I am due for a protein treatment, deep conditioning treatment, or clarifying shampoo! I never knew these things until I got to do my research on the internet. That makes me wonder what it is they teach in hairdressing school or whatever it is called! Why didn't I know about doing protein treatments and deep conditioning treatments and that there must be a balance between the two? I always thought treatment is treatment and it doesn't matter....they all have the same purpose. I never knew that I should moisturize and seal my hair. Why do they not educate us on proper hair care for black hair? Some will even go the extra mile to retouch, color and blow dry or flat iron your hair all in one day! Are there no ethics in this industry? Is the training specific on ethnic orientation of the client or is it collective? 

Another major issue I have is that the hair industry here in Kenya is so so LIMITING!!! I have been to several hair salons in this lifetime and most hairdressers are in a very limiting comfort zone!!!! Here is just one encounter. Last month I purposed to refrain from using direct heat because in January I found myself flat ironing my hair weekly (the road to transitioning can be tough). So one day I washed my hair and went to the salon for a roller set and this raised eyebrows in the salon. I was 6 months post and the hairdresser kept saying I should flat iron instead (knowing full well my heat history), she even went ahead to say that it's about time I retouched my new growth right after I had told her that I am transitioning to natural. She was not amused about my transition!!! I could care less!! So as she was putting on the rollers I happened to ask about straw sets which I though would be interesting to try out during my transition, They went ahead to tell me that a straw set can only be done on freshly relaxed hair!!! WTH?? Check out the number of You Tube tutorials on straw sets on even NATURAL HAIR!!!!! Honestly this was the last straw for me. Hairdressers should be on the forefront of creativity and healthy hair practices but all I have had this far are disappointments! For the hairdressers who know your job and you actually take your time to learn more on the job, kudos. For the ones who choose not to explore and continue with the "norm" , please look for a job that demands less creativity!

Whether you choose to be relaxed, natural, or texlaxed, that is your decision to make! Entirely up to you! Be advised on how to keep it healthy in whatever state! Do not leave your hair care to your hair dresser alone. Your hair belongs to you. You decide what goes in it and how you want it! Do not go product hopping all the time at your hairdressers. Find the products that your hair loves and stick with it.Product hopping all the time is also one of the reasons people experience breakage. Changing relaxers....Just stick to one! Complain if your braids and your weave is too tight and protect that hairline that you so love deeply! Do your research on hair and see just how much progress you can achieve by having a personal hair care routine. This post is not meant to discredit hairdressers. I just needed to let this out as a matter of observation over the years and my personal experiences.

LOVE YOUR HAIR. It belongs to you.
Happy Wednesday lovlies,
Xx

8 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia, great post! i totally feel you. this is exactly what lead me to start looking for hair tips on the internet and i am so glad i did. There are so many things that are done so wrong in salons and many of us don´t even know it. I am hoping for a time when all little girls will know how to care for their own hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you. I am sure many ladies share the same sentiments. We need a revolution. Thank God for the internet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thank you. I am sure many ladies share the same sentiments. We need a revolution. Thank God for the internet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our Community. Your website provided us with valuable info to work on.You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.
    hairdressers Edinburgh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you. Melbourne does not accommodate for my hair too. When I want to buy certain curly hair products, I have to get them from overseas and shipping's expensive. I can't even go to a hair dresser anymore. By the way, know any great hairdressers who texlax hair in melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such dedicated bloggers. This is such a tough time of year. I am very glad read about this blog i am sharing great information with you
    Jobs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.
    hairdressers in Paignton

    ReplyDelete

Post your comment here