Pages

Tuesday 12 March 2013

More for the newbies!!

Hi everyone! I hope you have been well. Finally back to blogging. Been an interesting month so far with Elections going on in Kenya....thank God it was peaceful and now it's over!

First of all I want to answer some questions one of my faithful blog readers asked. She is a newbie in this whole healthy hair thing and some of the hair jargon had her confused (sorry :-) ) These are a few basic terms that I will explain in this post.

Co-wash
Co-washing is simply washing your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. Shampooing too often also strips the hair of its natural oils so some people substitute shampoo for conditioner on some of their wash days also to just detangle their hair.

Clarifying
Over time, the products you use on our hair eventually build up and weigh down the hair even when we use our sulfate free shampoos (which are less harsh). So every once a month I wash my hair with a Clarifying shampoo (one that contains sulfate) which removes product build up due to its harsh nature. Some clarifying shampoos are clearly indicated on the labels that they are clarifying. However shampoos that contain sulfate do serve this purpose. It is important to clarify your hair every so often especially after a relaxer for at least the next 2 or 3 washes to completely get rid of traces of the relaxer in your hair.

Pre-poo
This is an oil treatment done by either just one oil or mixed oils prior to shampooing. The purpose of this treatment is to protect the hair from harsh shampoo chemicals which strip oils from the hair and scalp. You can use castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil etc. Apply the oil, wear a shower cap and let it sit for an hour or more before your shampoo. Some people do it overnight too.

I think I have answered the three major questions I got. Now highlight of my month is I finally found my Coast Coconut oil!!!! Last year in my desperate search for an everyday oil I found Coast Coconut oil in Healthy U store at Yaya center. At the time it was Ksh.185 for the 250ml. I had tried many coconut oil brands before this one and I just did not feel at satisfied especially because most of them had a very strong smell and I just couldn't seal my hair daily with them. 

It unfortunately went out of stock for about 5 months and recently my sister spotted it at Uchumi 250ml now going for Ksh.370 and about Ksh.400 at Healthy U. Still not bad considering how amazing this oil is!! Had to get it!!! <gold rush style> :-) 

So this coconut oil is absolutely THE BEST!!! It is extra virgin, therefore no additives, as natural as it can get! It melts so easily on my scalp which makes it quite easy to spread and economical because I don't end up wasting or using too much. Solid at room temperature and it is also great for cooking! The smell is not over-bearing, quite mild and wears off in a couple of minutes! It gives my hair a great shine and is light enough to not weigh my hair down when I seal in moisture with it. Honestly it is magical and amazing! :-) 
Here it is 

I highly recommend this oil. Have a lovely week!!
:-)
Pat.

2 comments:

  1. I Love your Blog. I am also very happy that the elections went well,
    Coconut Oil is One of my staple oils too absolutely Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jo Eva. Love yours too. We are happy that it was peaceful. That is what we all prayed for.
    Coconut oil is so amazing. This one in particular beats all other oils for me. My hair loves it!

    ReplyDelete

Post your comment here