Pages

Tuesday 5 February 2013

INTRO

Dear reader(s),
I am super excited as I type my first post on this blog. A little about me, I am a 21 year old Kenyan, most importantly proud to be, African woman. I chose to start this blog mainly because I felt that beauty in society's eyes is not too considerate when it comes to the black woman, therefore the need to empower and educate each other on what works best for us. One of the issues that most black women can admit to have struggled with is HAIR!

I grew up thinking that Afro textured hair is not ideal or beautiful. I am sure this is the case with many black women. I always begged my mum for a relaxer and finally when I got it, I couldn't do without it. There was no one to educate me on just how to take care of my relaxed hair. Even hairdressers here are not so educated about 'black' hair care. What was once long, beautiful, thick hair,eventually became short, weak, thin and very unhealthy hair. I got a bob cut which at least took the attention off my unsightly ponytail that looked like five strands of hair collectively. (not cute!)

I was desperate for health restoration into my hair and I knew that it had a lot of potential to grow if only it was well taken care of. Thank God for the Internet, I was able to do my research and get a great deal of useful information  on black hair care. Seems I was among the millions of black women out there searching for answers! If only I knew then, what I know now, who knows, my hair would probably be sweeping the floor now lol! 
First, these are some misconceptions I had about black hair;
  1. We have the strongest and toughest hair of all races.
  2. Black hair can't grow as long as other races.
  3. Nappy aint cute!
The truth?
  1. Black hair is indeed the most delicate of all races and most prone to breakage.
  2. Black hair can grow long if breakage is minimized and healthy hair routine is achieved with the right products.
  3. Afro textured hair is indeed beautiful!!! Actress Teyonah Parris totally rocked hers at the 19th Annual Screen actors Guild Awards and she looked absolutely stunning!! So inspiring.

If you can relate to this, fear not! I will be sharing a lot about black hair care for both natural and relaxed hair in this blog ladies!! :-)
Just thought I should let u all know that I started my healthy hair journey in Feb 2012. Still a newbie but a well researched one ;-). My hair has since become healthier and thicker so yes, it does work. I am currently relaxed but transitioning to natural just as a matter of preference. However, big lesson learnt, love your hair ladies!

Locks of Love,
 Pat.

1 comment:

Post your comment here