Pages

Tuesday 5 February 2013

UNHEALTHY PROTECTIVE STYLING

Protective styling such as weaving, braiding and wearing buns is great for protecting your ends and taking a break from too much combing hence, reducing a great deal of breakage.



However, protective styling can cause major set backs when done WRONG!!

It no longer qualifies as protective styling when any of the above is too tight! It will do more harm than good when those braids or weaves or ponytails are too tight! These styling methods are unfortunately more often than not, the reasons behind the mother of all setbacks; The Receding Hairline!!

Naomi Campbell's famous receding hairline.

So many black women out there are victims of the receding hairline. Every time I'd get my box braids done, I would barely sleep well for at least the following 2 nights. My scalp at first would look so stretched and shiny due to the excessive pulling, then later I would get pimples all over my hairline and finally the 'white stuff' <hair follicles literally uprooted from my scalp> would appear. I always thought braids have to be too tight to last or be neat but this is just wrong sisters!! It can be done without the excessive pulling.

Most importantly, DO NOT wear your extensions for too long. I have heard of women who wear their braids for even 6 months!!! Oh hell no! This goes way beyond pushing it. A month in my opinion is acceptable. Weaveholics, yes, I am talking to you too! It's good to let your hair breathe every once in a while.

Finally, those of you who already have a receding hairline try applying Castor Oil religiously day and night. It worked for me (yes I am a fully recovered weaveholic)!! Castor oil has hair growth stimulating properties and it has been proven to thicken hair. It is one of my natural oils I always have just in case of a hair emergency :-)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. LOVE YOUR HAIR! It belongs to you, not your hairdressers.
All it needs is TLC.

Ciao sisters!
Pat,
xoxo.

2 comments:

Post your comment here